Hiiii friend!!!!! Welcome to this 10 part Youtube series on How to Begin Videography for those of you who are already wedding photographers who just want to dabble in video & add more value to their brides 2019 packages!!
WHAT WE’LL GO OVER:
- The gear that I use
- How I shoot with it
- Importing / organizing / culling the footage
- Picking the right song
- Editing tricks (warp stabilizer, light leaks, scaling frames, reverse, double exposure, + text)!!!!
- Export settings for Instagram
- The final video
- a Bonus video at the end (to keep you learning)!!
**Full Disclaimer** I am not a professional videographer… these are just building blocks for you to get started!! (so don’t be mean to me if something I say is wrong lol!!)
So if listening to me talk to the camera in my pjs & making more money sounds like fun to you… then check back here for the new videos posted every Monday and Wednesday until 12/26!! :))
INTRO TO THE BEGINNERS GUIDE TO VIDEOGRAPHY
(FOR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS — Video #1)
GEAR TO START
(BEGINNERS GUIDE TO VIDEOGRAPHY FOR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS — Video #2)
Camera: Canon Mark iii
Lenses: Canon 50mm1.4 and Canon 35mm1.4 and Canon 85mm1.8
Glide Cam: ehhhhh…. Up to you!
HOW TO SHOOT
(BEGINNERS GUIDE TO VIDEOGRAPHY FOR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS — Video #3)
1. Keep the camera as STEADY as possible!!
2. Keep the camera & subject moving in a way that makes sense to the STORY!
3. Shoot true to color (don’t over or under expose)
4. Do NOT overshoot! Or else culling will be a nightmare!!
IMPORT, ORGANIZE, & CULL
(BEGINNERS GUIDE TO VIDEOGRAPHY FOR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS — Video #4)
Import: super easy, just drag and drop onto the timeline!!
Cull: preview your footage with the toggle so you can quickly go through the clips you like and ignore the clips you don’t want to use
Organize: there’s lots of videos you can watch on how to organize your footage so it’s all easier to work with… but I honestly just view my clips a few times and keep a general idea in my head of where I placed the clips I want to use! Since we’re only focused on creating a highlight film here (not a full length film) I don’t think you necessarily need to get too deep into the organization process!!
Also…. HAHAHA totally just realized I didn’t edit out some of the titles from the previous video on this one…. so it’s gonna have some annoying random titles pop up & I’m too lazy to go back and fix it so sorrrryyyyyyy I didn’t have time to watch it all the way through before posting lol!!
HOW TO PICK THE SONG
(BEGINNERS GUIDE TO VIDEOGRAPHY FOR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS — Video #5)
- Choosing the right song for the couple (slow/romantic, fast/upbeat, etc)
- If you are charging someone money for this video… you need to purchase the LICENSE to use the song used!! (if I really want a song that doesn’t offer the license… I’ll reach out to the artist’s team directly & ask for permission).
- Give the song artist allllll the credits (tag, caption, links to website, etc).
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO EDITING TRICKS
(BEGINNERS GUIDE TO VIDEOGRAPHY FOR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS — Video #6)
- Warp Stabilizer: this helps your shaky footage appear smoother (without using a glide cam)!
- Light Leaks: these are the cool, trips effects on top of the clips. Just google “light leaks to buy” and you’ll find some websites to get your own! Like these HERE (I haven’t actually bought from here myself though!)
- Scaling the Frames to the Beat of the Music: just another cute effect to give your video more texture!!
- Reverse: when used correctly… this can be a super cute addition to your editing technique library!! (SUPER SIMPLE)!!
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO EDITING TRICKS #2
(BEGINNERS GUIDE TO VIDEOGRAPHY FOR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS– Video #7)
- Double Exposure: literally my FAV edit! Gives so much depth, texture, & just looks cool without being complicated to execute at all!!
- Text Typing Tool: soooo so sorry hahah!! I totally said I wasn’t going to do this to you… (i wanted this series to be all inclusive where you didn’t have to hop around to different youtube videos), BUT it’s Christmas morning today & I just want to get these done lol!! So go ahead and check out this video HERE & he’ll explain it better than I could anyways lol!!
EXPORT SETTINGS FOR INSTA
(BEGINNERS GUIDE TO VIDEOGRAPHY FOR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS– Video #8)
Hahah so sorry to do this again… but this guy explains it better than I could anyways!! Watch his easy-to-follow step by step instructions on how to set up your settings to export your video to instagram with the best quality possible HERE. Then save those settings as a preset + you’ll never have to worry about it again!!
(BEGINNERS GUIDE TO VIDEOGRAPHY FOR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS– Video #9)
Thank you guys for watching (all 5 of you lol)!!!!!!
Hope you found it useful & that it gets ya started on your journey towards offering more value to your brides & raising your prices through video!! 🙂
(Song: Alps by Novo Amor & Ed Tullett)
(BEGINNERS GUIDE TO VIDEOGRAPHY FOR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS– Video #10)
I want you guys to continue down the rabbit hole of learning about videography on Youtube!! So I’ve put together a list of a few more videos you can watch that will lead you to more videos that will lead you to MORE videos lol!! Have soo so much fun learning :)) And hey! If you find a video that you think was awesome… send it to me so I can learn too!!
- LEARN PREMIERE PRO IN 20 MINUTES by Kriscoart
- My Top 10 Favorite Video Effects in Adobe Premiere Pro CC! by Justin Odisho
- Retro VHS Look Effect Tutorial (no plugins) by Austin Newman
- VIDEO EDITING TRANSITIONS by Taylor Cut
- How to GLITCH EFFECT your footage!! by Peter McKinnon
- An Overlay Video (Resource) by Richard Street
- WHY Color Grade TEAL and ORANGE? by Matti Haapoji
- The Best Way to Cull & Organize Footage in Adobe Premiere Pro by The Herrintons
- How to Fix Timeline Lag on Adobe Premiere Pro by TheReaperSoldier
- How to Edit & Export High Quality Instagram TV (IGTV) Videos using Premiere Pro by Matt WhoisMatt Johnson
If there’s anything specific you still want me to touch on, let me know in the comments below!
Love ya guys + have soo so fun making your cute videos!!